Sunday, June 28, 2009

hitting home?

"Impromptu vigils broke out around the world, from Portland, Ore., where fans organized a one-gloved bike ride (“glittery costumes strongly encouraged”) to Hong Kong, where fans gathered with candles and sang his songs.

Now, I realize Portland considers itself the home of "bike culture," and I'm sure it's a lovely place to ride a bike, but seriously--it's enough already. Is there any news or pop cultural event around which the people of Portland will not form some sort of kitchy theme ride?"



BSNYC posted this a couple days ago and while I do enjoy living in Portland, I can't help but feel that he's somewhat hit the nail on the head. "Bike Culture" as it is now has become one of those synergistic words, born from the increasing amount of people riding these days, and as much as I embrace the the whole DIY attitude of some of the subgroups of said culture, I can't help but sometimes feel that sometimes we cross the line. Keep in mind the line is blurry, ambiguous, and will be argued upon until the apocalypse, but every once and a while something like this happens and I do think to myself "really?"; either that or, "eh, I'm not surprised"


That and I just never really liked Micheal Jackson.

No comments: